Followers

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Lentil Soup

The first time that I had lentil soup it was horrible! But when I had it again it was more than lentils in water with a little bit of salt!This is a recipe that my momma makes.

Lentil Soup with Tomatoes
servings 6-8
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 cup red or brown lentils (I think we use red lentils, but it doesn't matter)
28oz. can crushed plum tomatoes with juice
8 cups chicken broth, vegetable broth, or water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon or 1 preserved lemon, diced
1. Heat the oil in large saucepan and saute the onions and garlic gently until the onions are soft. Add the celery and carrots and continue to saute a few more minutes.
2. Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth or water, 1/4 cup each parsley and cilantro, cumin , turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then lower heat, and simmer, covered for 1 hour or until the lentils are tender. For a thicker soup, puree half the contents of the pot in a food processor equipped with a steel blade. Return the puree to the pot and stir well. Adjust the seasonings, and serve with the remaining parsley and cilantro sprinkled on top (we don't always put the parsley and cilantro on top).

I didn't know this until my grandma pointed it out that in Genesis 25:27-34 Jacob made lentil soup!
~ Mac

1 comment:

  1. Being a foodie, I love finding verses in the Bible that mention food. I know God loves me because he gave me yummy, tasty food like lentil soup to help soothe me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for posting on our blog! We have the comment moderation up. which means all posts will have to go past our parents before they are seen. Thanks again!

whos.amung.us